How do you keep the fandom alive?

I was listening to the Signal Season 3 #1 (yes, it’s BACKKKKK) and they had a small discussion in the feedback section about (for lack of a better term) losing the fire about Firefly….

Now this is a natural ocurance I think everyone goes through. You just wax and wane about certain fandoms, especially something like Buffy/Angel or Firefly because there’s no “new” content (until the comics come).

I want to discuss this on my next podcast… and I’d like to give some good ways to respark (I’m going with this metaphor, live with me) the interest /love for a fandom.

The discussion talked about buying the Bedlum Bards CD “On the Drift”… Hearing the songs reinspired the author.

So what do you guys think?

This entry was posted in fandom. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

17 Comments

1. athenamuze
    Posted January 20, 2007 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

I’m relatively new to the BtVS and Ats fandom (a bit longer with Firefly), so I have yet to tire of it really. Yet I have found that recruiting someone new who gets excited about it or just chatting with people who are passionate about it can help. Being new, I’ve met some people who are tired of it all and who have heard all the discussions, I even ran into a forum where I was basicly told “we don’t actually talk about the series here anymore so don’t bother.” Those suck, but I have also found some new communities of people who are passionate about the shows. Also the podcasts are fairly new and really great for new material. I’d like to start my own but I’m looking for an angle to work with.

2. sl_podcast
    Posted January 20, 2007 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

If you were enthusastic enough I would suggest doing one kind of like the Signal and Firefly talk for all Jossverse…. but that’s a lot of work.

3. katekat1010
    Posted January 20, 2007 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

I guess one of my suggestions would be: go back to the source. People always seem to get recharged when they go back and rewatch certain episodes, or the whole series again if it’s been a while. I think some of the best discussions have come out of group watching too – where a bunch of people agree to watch the same ep all at once, and then talk about what they remember vs. what they saw, things like that.

Also, on lj, the seasonal communities and other things like that, that occur at specific times, seem to kick up a lot of fandom interest, even if it’s around one character or pairing.

good luck with whatever other methods you find

(ps…here from a link at the )

4. sl_podcast
    Posted January 20, 2007 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

I totally agree… thanks for sharing (and I friended you!)

5. katekat1010
    Posted January 20, 2007 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

my pleasure! and welcome! if you’re bored or anything, i have this silly little friending thing (kind of like > if you would mind I’d love to know more about you … check it out here

*hugs*

6. pjgale
    Posted January 20, 2007 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

I think lurkers have to go out and leave feedback. That’s the way to keep writers enthused and the fandom alive.

7. thirdblindmouse
    Posted January 20, 2007 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

There are always new corners to explore. Fanfic with new pairings, meta discussing new aspects of canon, vids that shine a new light on events… Not to mention rewatching, to see what you’ve forgotten.

8. lorelei_frolick
    Posted January 20, 2007 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

Fanfiction has really been instrumental in keeping my interest in Buffy alive. Quality fan-written continuations and user-friendly, comprehensive fic databases are always good things for a fandom to have.

The huge amount of scholarly material on Buffy also helped a lot. It makes you see the show in a new light, appreciate it on different levels, and can help stimulate discussions in fandom. Sites like the Annotated Buffy, All Things Philosophical and Slayage are awesome. Speaking of which, does anyone know what’s up with Slayage and why it’s offline?

9. sl_podcast
    Posted January 20, 2007 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

I agree about feedback. The same is true of podcasters, people who did fanvideos… fan graphics. Not that we become a mutal admiration society, but knowing somewhere out there appreciates what we do, that’s a great encouragement.

10. sl_podcast
    Posted January 20, 2007 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

I agree – being able to discuss Buffy helps a lot too.. asking questions, even if it’s about small details.

11. anonymous
    Posted January 21, 2007 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

I read a similar discussion a few days ago in which the question was, do you think the new Buffy season 8 comic will inspire fanfic writers. The unofficial consensus was not too positive. Personally, I have been in the fandom for a few years and have yet to grow tired of it. I think collecting Buffy/Angel merchandise has helped me stay interested, esp. Sideshow Collectibles’ 12′ figures. Also, I know that so many Angel/Buffy fans have moved on to current shows such as Supernatural, Heroes, etc. I think it is great to do the crossover thing with the old fandom and the new one. As for leaving feedback, I agree that we lurkers need to do that more. I try to encourage writers to keep at it. However, there is a flip side to that, also. Some writers, including some of the more “famous” in the fandom, have received so much positive feedback and yet have left their fans hanging with WIPs. I find myself getting frustrated when they leave their fans hanging for months, years, forever. . . Anyway, thanks for this podcast and for the efforts to encourage more fan loyalty.

12. ozma914
    Posted January 24, 2007 at 12:19 am | Permalink

You make a very good point about works in progress. I’ve read some stories that are better than most commercially published fiction, but it’s horrible having to wait for them to finally be updated — if they get updated at all.

To me, the solution is very simple: I don’t start posting a story until the story is finished. I may make a few minor changes as I post each chapter, but the work as a whole is finished, checked, and revised before the first one goes up.

13. anonymous
    Posted January 27, 2007 at 1:38 am | Permalink

I have sometimes been tempted to just bookmark a story and wait until it is complete before even beginning to read it. Lately, whenever I visit an archive and the summary says “Complete: No,” I pass on it, esp. if the last update was ages ago. Why cause yourself the frustration, you know?

I wish that writers who have called it quits on a fic would give permission to other fanfic writers to continue the story or finish it. Wouldn’t that make a great archive or contest? There could be alternate endings; choose the one you like. Come on, all you writers who have turned your backs on your fans, let someone who still feels the love finish that story!!!

Sorry. Just feel a little bitter about it, I guess.

14. sl_podcast
    Posted January 27, 2007 at 1:42 am | Permalink

awwwhhhh.. don’t feel bitter!

That would be an interesting idea for a new community.. I suggest you get a LJ name and start one!

I’m sure a lot of “dead ended writers” would offer up their fics 🙂

15. ozma914
    Posted January 29, 2007 at 4:18 am | Permalink

Did I ever tell you about the very first fic I read online? It was a Sailor Moon fanfic, beautifully written, well characterized, brilliant plotting. It went on and on and on … it actually reached a good stopping point twice, only to pick up loose ends and go on again, but it was so great that I didn’t mind.

Then it just … disappeared. Not only did it stop, but the web site it was on vanished. *sigh* Absolutely, a contest to end stories like that would be a great idea.

16. sl_podcast
    Posted January 29, 2007 at 11:04 am | Permalink

I know that’s why people have taken to archiving other stories on their sites so they can be perserved…. ending stories would be interesting,but I know for my part I’d want to make sure the author taking over was half-way decent.

17. ozma914
    Posted January 30, 2007 at 1:08 am | Permalink

Agreed. Fiction writing is one of the best things I do, which really isn’t a huge bragging point; I’d want to leave it in the hands of someone who would both respect the work and who has the talent to continue it.

I’ve been discussing just that with fellow Oz book fans. Many writers tried their hands at writing Oz books after L. Frank Baum died; some were very good — some not so much.