It’s official… Joss is off of Wonder Woman…

PUBLIC OUTRAGE MAY COMMENCE NOW!!!!!

Joss jumped on Whedonesque to tell everyone he is off the project (it might crash so I’m telling you this).

edit: this is one of my favorite quotes of the back and forth going on at Whedonesque…

BlueEyedBrigadier: I would be psyched for anything you made, even a PSA about tax season

This entry was posted in celb, fandom, geek. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

16 Comments

1. aurey09
    Posted February 2, 2007 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Thanks for putting this on here. I’ve posted on Whedonesque supporting Joss before the site crashed, which it did when I tried to go back.

I wasn’t sure what to put because on Whedonesque. I’ve been waiting for this film for so long and bugged people around me with that fact.

I think I can guess what you’re going to talk about in the next podcast.

2. sl_podcast
    Posted February 2, 2007 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

I’m so boycotting this film… I was SERIOUSLY looking forward to this movie and, like you, have been bugging everyone about it.

Yes… I def have choice words about the whole thing.

3. aurey09
    Posted February 2, 2007 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

The only reason I was even going to watch it was because of Joss. I’m now over the shock and I’m pissed.

I know Joss made it sound all so civilised but… I wanted more Joss Whedon on the big screen or any screen.

4. xlivvielockex
    Posted February 2, 2007 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

I guess I am in the minority here because I am actually glad he is not working on the project. As someone who grew up reading Wonder Woman, I wanted to see the spirit of the comics stay alive. From the reports I read, Whedon didn’t really want that to happen. He had his own revisioning of Wonder Woman. It seemed a bit too much like Buffy 2.0.

I am actually pretty excited at this news because hopefully now they can get someone in on the project that will be a little more true to the comics and the spirit that is Wonder Woman.

I know most people who respond to this think Whedon is God but when someone isn’t right for a project, they aren’t right for a project. No harm, no foul, it happens.

5. sl_podcast
    Posted February 2, 2007 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

The original interviews/info made it sound like that.. but the more recent stuff I’ve heard Joss said sounded more like he was going to stick with the spirit of the comic, but he wanted to delve into her as a person. Not just have some cheesy super hero movie (this is well done in Batman Begins, the Spiderman movies and etc).

6. lorelei_frolick
    Posted February 2, 2007 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

I think I’m feeling pretty much what Joss is feeling though,
    “I’m as relieved as I am disappointed.”

I was never psyched about the Wonder Woman movie per se, just about getting more Jossy goodness. If getting taken off this project means we’ll be getting “Goners” sooner and that he’ll have more time to devote to the comics, then I don’t mind too much.

7. sl_podcast
    Posted February 2, 2007 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

I’m worried… simply because I was psyched about Wonder Woman drawing more Joss-supporters…

I hope Goners will make it to the theater… but I’m dubious.

8. athenamuze
    Posted February 2, 2007 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

I agree with this totally. I was going to see it because of The Man, but really it was not really getting me too excited. I am really hoping he can turn his attention to something new and fantastic now.

9. xlivvielockex
    Posted February 2, 2007 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

Maybe we are just getting our information from different sources. I rely on industry boards and mailing lists that are targeted towards the behind the scenes (crew) people so the information is a little more…raw. It isn’t the kind of stuff that will turn up on imdb.com or comic websites or the like.

The last thing I heard about it was that it was going to be very much Wonder Girl and her plucky female sidekick! Look at her as she battles acne and dating! That, to me, is not Wonder Woman. Like I said, I grew up reading the comics so she has a special place in my heart.

Maybe I just come from a more cynical and jaded point of view due to my experiences. Like I said, total minority here.

10. sl_podcast
    Posted February 2, 2007 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Weird… most of what I’ve heard is direct interviews with Joss… so who knows… and I guess now we’ll never know.

11. xlivvielockex
    Posted February 2, 2007 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

Well, I am sure I don’t have to tell you this but interviews are very very rarely the truth. It is spin, meant to present a certain point of view or support or push forward a certain agenda. I almost never rely on interviews because pick one person, any person, and you can find interviews all over where they contradict themselves. The messages are tailored towards the audience.

I am more of a first hand experiences, straight from the horses’ mouth kind of girl. Having two successful actors and a producer in the family, I know that they have given interviews saying A when they really wanted to say B. I take all that with a serious grain of salt.

I am more likely to believe the office guy who made copies of a script or a boom operator who had a conversation or a background actor who overheard something than I am to believe an interview. But that is just me. Like I said, cynical and jaded. 🙂

12. xlivvielockex
    Posted February 2, 2007 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

As far as not knowing, give it a week and I bet any copies of the Whedon script pop up on Ebay. 🙂

13. sl_podcast
    Posted February 2, 2007 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

See I’m the opposite… Simply because I know too many people who purposely feed the wrong inofrmation to the office guy or boom operator… or the office guy who wants to make a quick buck or feel more important than he really is… 😉

But that’s from living in LA… I never believe anyone…

14. xlivvielockex
    Posted February 2, 2007 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

Buuuuuuut you believe interviews that go through another person to edit the words and tailor the message towards an audience? Like I said, I have actors in the family and they have told me they have said things that were totally untrue in interviews just to cater to the audience or because it was the company line.

I lived in LA too and worked crew before. Background actors are just about the most truthful bunch you can find because while they will normally keep mum about stuff, you get a few beers in them, and they are more than willing to talk about what goes on on the lot. 🙂 Plus, most “stars”, writers, directors, and producers really don’t notice they are there so they are pretty loose with the lips.

I guess it just depends on your experiences and where you are coming from. I am more apt to believe my family and their friends who have nothing to gain than I am in some interview. 🙂

15. sl_podcast
    Posted February 2, 2007 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

Well, I’ve always lived by the “don’t believe anything you hear and half of what you see” rule… When I hear Joss (in his own voice.. not just written) say multiple times the same thing in different places… I put more stock in it then rumors… but again… I rarely trust anything. I just live in happy bliss until it comes out.

My anger is not really that he’s not doing Wonder Woman specifically.. but that I was fairly sure this would be a great place for Joss to shine to a wider audience…. after all the waiting and anticipating, I’m not happy.

But who knows what will happen. If someone else does screw up the Wonder Woman movie, I won’t be happy.

16. ozma914
    Posted February 2, 2007 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

Oh, man.

Despite what he said, I suspect they were messing with him they way they messed with his Buffy movie script, and it brought back too many bad memories. I hope the movie still comes out all right, but they lost their best and brightest when they lost Joss.